13 C
Sombor
Thursday, 25 April 2024

Hidden danger in every sip: Uncovering the threat of nanoplastics in bottled water

Shocking discovery: What’s in your bottled water could be putting your health at risk

We found another confirmation of our belief and aspiration that it is not good to use bottled water and drinks in plastic bottles in the Liberland Ark Village and on the Yacht House in Liberland, and this study will surely direct us even more to find alternative solutions.

Bottled water, once considered a healthy beverage choice, is now under scrutiny due to the shocking results of research conducted by scientists at Columbia University. The study, published in the journal “Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences”, reveals that bottled water contains hundreds of thousands of pieces of nanoplastic per liter, raising serious questions about the potential health risks this drink can bring.

Nanoplastics, particles smaller than microplastics and less than one micrometer in length, represent a significant part of this astonishing discovery. Researchers tested three popular brands of bottled water in the US, finding between 110,000 and 370,000 plastic particles in each liter. As much as 90% of these particles were nanoplastics, and the remaining 10% were microplastics. As many as seven of the most common types of plastic, including polyethylene, polyethylene terephthalate and polystyrene, have been found in bottled water. Americans, for example, consume about 50 billion bottles of water a year, and new research suggests that they ingest a quadrillion nanoplastic particles every day.

These findings raise serious questions about the potential health consequences, given that nanoplastics can pass through the body and end up in the bloodstream, lungs, heart and brain. Although little is still known about nanoplastics, experts believe they could be more dangerous than microplastics due to their reactivity, presence and ability to penetrate more places in the body. Previous research suggests that nanoplastics can cause inflammatory responses in the gut, oxidative stress, metabolic disturbances and even increased mortality. This research raises concerns about the quality of bottled water and the need for more research to understand the long-term effects of consuming this ubiquitous beverage. Consumers now have another reason to be careful when choosing the water and other beverages they consume, and companies are under pressure to rethink production and packaging processes to reduce the amount of plastic in the products they offer on the market.

As always, we invite you to check out the study for yourself at the following address:

Rapid single-particle chemical imaging of nanoplastics by SRS microscopy | PNAS

Liberland Sombor
Liberland Office in Sombor County

Latest news

Metropolis secures $1.2M ahead of anticipated public CLAY offering

Metropolis has successfully closed a $1.2 million investment round. The funding round saw participation from notable investors, including...

Leading Web3 Marketing Executive Joins New MMO Gaming Project UFORIKA

UFORIKA, a pioneering MMO gaming ecosystem, has appointed Nigel Carlos as its Chief Marketing Officer (CMO). Carlos’s extensive experience in marketing leadership...

Crypto Exchanges Begin to List the Liberland Dollar

Introduction Liberland Blockchain is now live in Edge, enabling users to send, receive, and trade the native assets of...

Argentina leads way in International Recognition

Local Consul, Nicolás Mateos, outlines his progress1.      Tell me a little bit about yourself - career, politics and position.I was...

Related news

Metropolis secures $1.2M ahead of anticipated public CLAY offering

Metropolis has successfully closed a $1.2 million investment round. The funding round saw participation from notable investors, including...

Leading Web3 Marketing Executive Joins New MMO Gaming Project UFORIKA

UFORIKA, a pioneering MMO gaming ecosystem, has appointed Nigel Carlos as its Chief Marketing Officer (CMO). Carlos’s extensive experience in marketing leadership...

Crypto Exchanges Begin to List the Liberland Dollar

Introduction Liberland Blockchain is now live in Edge, enabling users to send, receive, and trade the native assets of...

Argentina leads way in International Recognition

Local Consul, Nicolás Mateos, outlines his progress1.      Tell me a little bit about yourself - career, politics and position.I was...

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here